University of Bristol, UK, is happy to announce a call for papers for the conference Paper, Airwaves, Screen: From Text to Audience in African Popular Culture, which will be held on 12-13 July 2017.
The papers should be focused on:
- Reading cultures in magazines, spoken word poetry, hip-hop, blogs, social media.
- The representation of reading/listening in literature, film, magazines, spoken word poetry, hip-hop, blogs, social media, contemporary art.
- The material production and circulation of the word in Africa.
- Reading as education, self-improvement, work and/or leisure.
- Audience, free time and unemployment.
- Popular literacy initiatives and development.
- Activist collectives and new media
The abstracts in English or French (300 words) should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org due to 15 February 2017.